mountpoint: request for feature

Vladimir Dronnikov dronnikov at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 19:16:34 UTC 2009

Hello, Miquel!

To handle resume after hibernation one has to supply correct block
device major/minor numbers to /sys/power/resume. This seems
rudimentary since bootloaders now learn how to find devices by
UUID/LABEL, so does busybox (http://busybox.net) mount utility natively.

It would be convenient to specify "resume=UUID=foo-bar" instead of
varying device numbers on kernel cmdline.
However, we still have no solid tool to query device numbers given its
spec (UUID/LABEL). The closest tool is "mountpoint -x DEVICE", but it
expects bare device name.
Another tool -- findfs -- provides device name given device mount spec.
So the result can be got by running "mountpoint -x $(findfs SPEC)",
but this command chain can fail if SPEC is not resolved to a device.

We want to enhance busybox mountpoint applet so it can be fed with
mount specs. It is quite trivial, since busybox library offer a
function that resolves mount specs to device names.

However, we do not want to diverge much from standard utilities. Can
you add the feature to standard mountpoint?

Best regards,
--
Vladimir Dronnikov, a busybox developer, Russia