Anybody want to fix ash's backspace line wrap?

Cathey, Jim jcathey at ciena.com
Mon May 18 16:03:14 UTC 2009

>once in a while?" when I complained that when I log in to AIX via
>ssh, the damn thing doesn't know what my terminal window size is,

We used to put an execution of qterm in our .profile, which
took care of figuring out (once) what kind of terminal was on
the other end, and what size it was.  Worked for non-ANSI terminals
too, and you could avoid it altogether if it was going to cause
an issue if accessed via certain methods.  (Since it was in a
user-accessible script, and could consult the tty device name
to make such decisions.)

> And thirdly, what about prefixing your prompt with a \n?

The problem, such as it is, is that you'll get double-spacing
that way, except when running into our exceptional echo case
that's under discussion.  Seems wrong to mess up 30 years of
convention just to deal with one exceptional case.

-- Jim