wrong modules.dep with 2.6 compressed modules (1.13.4/1.14.0)

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Mon May 18 08:30:20 UTC 2009

On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 12:45 PM, Gilles Espinasse <g.esp at free.fr> wrote:
> I try to use compressed modules because it is simplier when out of initramfs
> modules are compressed and it minimize memory requirement on install when
> modules are on tmpfs.
>
> Then I find that modules.dep miss many dependencies with compressed modules.
> Tested on x86 only.
> This was produced with busybox-1.13.4 using a find to gzip/ungzip modules.
> find /lib/modules/$(KVER)/kernel -name '*.ko.gz' -a -type f | xargs gzip -d
> or
> find /lib/modules/$(KVER)/kernel -name '*.ko' -a -type f | xargs gzip -9
>
> I try to compare with modules.dep result produced by modules-init-tools-3.8
> but dependencies are in a different order (reverse?) in the same line.
> So hard to read the diff.

I post-process depmod output like this:

[./busybox] depmod -n | ./depmod_process.sh | sort >OUTFILE

where ./depmod_process.sh is:

while read -r word rest; do
    if ! test "${word/*:/}"; then
        echo -n "$word "
        echo "$rest" | xargs -n1 | sort | xargs
    else
        echo "$word $rest";
    fi
done

The diffs of OUTFILEs are way smaller.
I see a few (harmless) differences between bbox and module-init-tools 3.4,
going to fix them now.

Did not try "depmod -n"-ing with compressed modules yet.

> As a notice m-i-t since 3.6 produce a relative path (/lib/modules/2.6.27 is
> assumed, so modules.dep version is smaller, modules.dep.bin version has
> mostly the same size as busybox produced modules.dep)

Don't have it yet on my box...
--
vda