Busybox init problem

Zachár Balázs bzachar at direkt-kfki.hu
Tue Mar 17 17:27:35 UTC 2009

Hi,

I have a pxa270 based board, and I would like to renew the system on it...
I am using the emdebian's stable gnueabi cross-toolchain.
I have already recompile the kernel (both latest stable (2.6.28.7) and testing (2.6.29-rc8)) and it works (boot up) now...

I would like to use Busybox to init (and to many other :) )...

I made a new root-filesystem structure, and I compiled a Busybox with the same cross-toolchain which I used to compile the new kernel...

But when I would like to boot up I get this error message:
VFS: Mounted root (nfs filesystem) on device 0:11.
Freeing init memory: 96K
Warning: unable to open an initial console.

After that I follow these faq:
http://www.busybox.net/FAQ.html#init

So I compile this code to static using the cross-toolchain:
devel:/opt/rootfs# cat test_init.c
#include <stdio.h>

int main()
{
  printf("Hello world!\n");
  while(1);
  return 0;
}

And I copy it to my nfsroot/sbin/init

I make two dev file (because I have my console on ttyS1 (kernel param: console=ttyS1,115200)):
devel:~# ll /nfsroot/root/dev/console
crw------- 1 root tty 5, 1 2009-03-17 18:30 /nfsroot/root/dev/console
devel:~# ll /nfsroot/root/dev/ttyS1
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 4, 65 2009-02-20 11:10 /nfsroot/root/dev/ttyS1

Than I tried to boot up, but I got the same error like above:

When I using the new kernel, with the old/orig rootfs (it is using busybox too) content it boot up properly... But I would like to build a new system!

Any Idea, where should I try?

regards,
Balazs Zachar