EMTEC Q120 - How to format in FAT32 ?

Vladimir Dronnikov dronnikov at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 18:33:59 UTC 2009

Hi!

> to change the NTFS rights from Read only to R/W.

If your appliance mounts NTFS by means of vanilla kernel module, there
are chances that the problem has no solution, since kernel module
provides for RO access only (RW access is still experimental and is
very limited).
But there exists ntfs-3g package (www.ntfs-3g.org), which contains
FUSE-based NTFS mounter. It mounts NTFS partitions RW and is stable
enough for production uses.

> But the most simple answer I received is to format again the NTFS part to FAT32.

It is reasonable. dosfstools
(http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/d/dosfstools/dosfstools_3.0.2.orig.tar.gz)
will help you.

> It's OK for me ... but how to do it ?

You build dosfstools and use mkfs.vfat /dev/<your-ntfs-partition>

--
Vladimir