EMTEC Q120 - How to format in FAT32 ?

walter harms wharms at bfs.de
Sat Mar 14 12:45:42 UTC 2009

philippe.abrassart at belgacom.be schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I have an EMTEC Q120 appliance, with the Busybox system inside.
> This is a hard disk of 750 G
> The disk contains (mainly) two partitions. One FAT32 and one NTFS
> I access the box via an ethernet connection, from my Windows PC.
> It's ok to write on the FAT32 partition, but not to the NTFS one. (no access right$)
>
> I already posted some Q to this forum ... to try to change the NTFS rights from Read only to R/W.
> But the most simple answer I received is to format again the NTFS part to FAT32.
>
> It's OK for me ... but how to do it ?  (I'm not a Linux or Busybox guru)

No idea, this is a M$ problem

> I did :
> - unmount
> - mke2fs ... but impossible to find the right syntax to create a vfat (FAT32) file system (I've no doc) --> was formated in ext2 ??? NOK
> - now, this partition is not available anymore from my PC ....  :-(

the basic idea is to use mkfs -t <type>. should get all informations regarding the usagewith "man mkfs".

mke2fs is the progamm that is responsible to create EXT2-type filesystem. Basicly it is ok to use but on large disks the filechecks (fsck)
tend to take very long. therefor ext3 and ext4 are invented.

to read ext2 with M$ you may try this:
 http://www.supriyadisw.net/2006/09/how-to-read-ubuntu-partition-on-windows

re,
 wh