Problem with busybox tar.

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 13 14:25:42 UTC 2009

On Friday 13 March 2009 01:03:33 pm Emery, Jacques wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We've just integrated Busybox 13.2 on our embeded system and since then we have some problems unpacking the file given in the attachement.

What problem exactly? Quick test with svn works:

# /root/srcdevel/bbox/fix/busybox.t5/busybox tar xvf rec_var.tgz; echo $?
./
./run/
./run/hosts
./log/
./ntp/
./data/
./lib/
./lib/urandom/
./dhcpc/
./config/
./config/hwversion.conf
0

> Though I've seen that a 13.3 version has just been released, I don't think that the new release solves this problem either (I've seen the tar patch).
> I also attach two versions of the configuration file we use to compile busybox (one version has much less features active).

This config is from "Busybox version: 1.10.1". Can you at least upgrade to 1.10.4
before reporting the bug? Maybe it is fixed even in 1.10.4.

I tried adapting your config to svn code.
I answered this to "make oldconfig":

Make tar, rpm, modprobe etc understand .lzma data (FEATURE_SEAMLESS_LZMA) [N/y/?] (NEW) n
Make tar, rpm, modprobe etc understand .bz2 data (FEATURE_SEAMLESS_BZ2) [N/y/?] (NEW) y
Make tar, rpm, modprobe etc understand .gz data (FEATURE_SEAMLESS_GZ) [N/y/?] (NEW) y
Make tar and gunzip understand .Z data (FEATURE_SEAMLESS_Z) [N/y/?] (NEW) n
  Autodetect gz/bz2 compressed tarballs (FEATURE_TAR_AUTODETECT) [N/y/?] (NEW) y

and it indeed failed to autodetect .tgz and unpack the archive,
needs CONFIG_DESKTOP=y for that.

This is a bug, the fix is attached.

However, in your .config you have FEATURE_TAR_AUTODETECT off,
so it can't be your problem, you need to use "z" explicitly (xzvf).
Which brings me back to "What problem exactly do you have?"
--
vda