Alias-ing problem

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 13 13:57:20 UTC 2009

On Thursday 12 March 2009 05:42:06 pm Sergio wrote:
> Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> > On Thursday 12 March 2009 04:30:41 pm Sergio wrote:
> >> Hi list,
> >>

> > Woohoo.
>
> Gulp!
>
> > run "make shell/ash.s" with both compilers and try to see what's different
> > in ash.s. Post the ash.s files to the list.
>
> Ehmm... What's different is a lot of thing... so I send the files :)
>
> Ah, the compiler version of the bad one is 3.3.1 not 3.4.3

So, if newer compiler works for you, what is the problem?

Let's do it this way.

* Try 1.13.3, there is not much sense in debugging custom ash.c.
* Explain why is it a problem that *older* gcc produces a broken executable.
* If using new, working gcc is somehow not acceptable for you,
  do this: build ash from bbox 1.13.3 with gcc 3.3.1,
  verify that it is broken, then build ash from bbox 1.13.3 with successively
  newer gcc's. find a pair of closest gcc versions which made it (dis)appear.
  Send ash.s from both of them.

If you will find out that *all* gcc 3.3.x (up to latest)
produce broken ash, it would point strongly to a gcc bug.
To quickly check it, try latest gcc 3.3.x first (do not go
through 3.3.2, 3.3.3....)
--
vda