modprobe patches

Timo Teräs timo.teras at iki.fi
Thu Mar 5 13:26:31 UTC 2009

Denys Vlasenko wrote:
>> - other for the speed up stuff, for trunk
>
>> The speed up probably increases size a bit, but I think it's worth it.
>> Comments, appreciated.
>
> Second patch looks interesting too, but does not apply cleanly to trunk
> (and does not apply to 1.13.0). Which revision is it against?
> (If you can please rediff against current svn).

It was against relatively recent trunk. Apparently you tweaked some of
the modprobe error message not too long ago, which resulted in the
conflicts.

Attached is a rebased patch. Did some trivial tests.

Summary of patch:
- when using "modprobe -a" to probe multiple modules, it reads the
  config files only once (it's a lot faster than module-init-tools
  when probing lots of modules at once)
- it does not load symbols or aliases files at all if they are not
  needed (speeds up single modprobe calls with literal module name
  quite a bit)

This improved my embedded box's bootup time by several seconds.

- Timo