Howto redirect serial console

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sun Jun 21 16:16:48 UTC 2009

On Saturday 20 June 2009 14:53:30 Dach Miroslaw wrote:
> Hi Baruch,
>
> Thanks for your hint. Your solution refers to the change of the command
> line arguments used at boot-up. I am however looking for a possibility to
> redirect console device at run time.

This is a kernel issue, not a busybox issue.  You can change which console
your userspace processes use, but if you get a broadcast message (such as
"timing source $BLAH unstable, falling back to $BLAH", "too much work for IRQ
$X", or all sorts of others) it'll still go to /dev/console.

By the way, when you say "at run time", do you mean after the system has
booted and potentially spawned multiple processes, each of which independently
has stdin/stdout/stderr?  Or are you just referring to changing what PID 1
thinks the console is and new child processes spawned after that point?  (I
note that switch_root has a -c option, since it runs at a convenient
bottleneck point for changing that parameter.)