Multithread debug

Guillaume Dargaud dargaud at lpsc.in2p3.fr
Tue Jul 21 08:40:35 UTC 2009

Hello all,
I need some help with gdb.
I'm using a busybox/uclibc compiled last year and I'm trying to figure out
why one of my own multithreaded apps locks up regularly.

How can I trigger a core dump on a running process ?
I tried variations of
# ulimit -c unlimited
# kill -QUIT pid; kill -ILL pid...
But no core dump is produced.

Then I tried attaching to the running process:
gdb Application pid
This time gdb does a core dump... on itself
Same thing if I try "attach pid" within gdb

Actually gdb is missing something (important?):
# gdb
dlopen failed on 'libthread_db.so.1' - File not found
GDB will not be able to debug pthreads.
GNU gdb 6.6
This GDB was configured as "powerpc-linux-uclibc".

How can I get this libthread_db.so.1 ?

Can a program list _all_ its own various mutex states ?
Thanks
--
Guillaume Dargaud
http://www.gdargaud.net/