No ‘command’ command in busybox?

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 9 20:59:38 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 07 July 2009 23:16, Karl Ove Hufthammer wrote:
> I have just started using busybox, and am impressed by the speed of
> some of its utilities. However, when I tried using it on one of my
> POSIX-based scripts, I got an error messages indicating that the ‘command’
> command isn’t implemented.
>
> Here is an example script, which gives ‘command: not found’ errors when run
> through busybox ash or sh:
>
> ---
> command -v grep
> command -v ls
> ---
>
> The ‘command’ command is defined in POSIX:
> http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/command.html
>
> I’m using the binary builds for my distro (Mandriva 2009.1), so initially I
> expected that some compile options were missing when building this.
> However, looking at the list of commands at
> http://www.busybox.net/downloads/BusyBox.html
> it seems there really is no ‘command’ command. Is this true, and is there any
> reason why? It does seem like quite a simple command. :)

Those are applets. "command" is not an applet, it's a shell builtin.

ash supports it:

# ./busybox ash
/.1/usr/srcdevel/bbox/fix/busybox.t1 # command -v grep
/bin/grep

However, hush does not:

# ./busybox hush
/.1/usr/srcdevel/bbox/fix/busybox.t1 # command -v grep
hush: can't execute 'command': No such file or directory

What is the version of busybox you tried?

--
vda