No ‘command’ command in busybox?

Karl Ove Hufthammer karl at huftis.org
Tue Jul 7 21:16:01 UTC 2009

I have just started using busybox, and am impressed by the speed of
some of its utilities. However, when I tried using it on one of my
POSIX-based scripts, I got an error messages indicating that the ‘command’
command isn’t implemented.

Here is an example script, which gives ‘command: not found’ errors when run
through busybox ash or sh:

---
command -v grep
command -v ls
---

The ‘command’ command is defined in POSIX:
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/command.html

I’m using the binary builds for my distro (Mandriva 2009.1), so initially I
expected that some compile options were missing when building this.
However, looking at the list of commands at
http://www.busybox.net/downloads/BusyBox.html
it seems there really is no ‘command’ command. Is this true, and is there any
reason why? It does seem like quite a simple command. :)

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer