how to use sendmail in 1.14.2

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 5 19:46:57 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 23 June 2009 10:22, Vladimir Dronnikov wrote:
> > What I use before is
> > Sendmail -w 3 -U test -P 111111 -s "test" myserver test at myserver.com mailmessage -t somebody at somewhere.com
> >
> > Could you kindly help convert this into the latest format?
> >

> I suppose "mailmessage" is the file you send as attachment, right?
> Attachment processing (along with any additional headers, like
> subject) is now moved to "makemime" applet.
>
> So, try:
>
> $ makemime -a "Subject: test" mailmessage | sendmail -w3 -autest
> -ap111111 -S myserver -f test at myserver.com -t somebody at somewhere.com

Hmm. Considering this, makemime help is inadequate:

Usage: makemime [OPTIONS] [FILE]...

Create MIME-encoded message

        -C      Charset
        -e      Transfer encoding. Ignored. base64 is assumed

Other options are silently ignored.

I am changing it to this:

Usage: makemime [OPTIONS] [FILE]...

Create multipart MIME-encoded message from FILEs.

        -o FILE Output. Default: stdout
        -a HDR  Add header. Examples:
                "From: user at host.org", "Date: `date -R`"
        -c CT   Content type. Default: text/plain
        -C CS   Charset. Default: us-ascii

Other options are silently ignored

Then, sendmail help needs to be more clear what "rcpt" is
and where it takes the input from. Like this:

Usage: sendmail [OPTIONS] [RECIPIENT_EMAIL]...

Read email from stdin and send it

Standard options:
        -t              Read additional recipients from message body
        -f sender       Sender (required)
        -o options      Various options. -oi implied, others are ignored

Busybox specific options:
        -w seconds      Network timeout
        -H 'PROG ARGS'  Run connection helper
                        Examples:
                        -H 'exec openssl s_client -quiet -tls1 -starttls smtp
                                -connect smtp.gmail.com:25' <email.txt
                                [4<username_and_passwd.txt | -au<username> -ap<password>]
                        -H 'exec openssl s_client -quiet -tls1
                                -connect smtp.gmail.com:465' <email.txt
                                [4<username_and_passwd.txt | -au<username> -ap<password>]
        -S server[:port] Server
        -au<username>   Username for AUTH LOGIN
        -ap<password>   Password for AUTH LOGIN
        -am<method>     Authentication method. Ignored. LOGIN is implied

Other options are silently ignored; -oi -t is implied
Use makemime applet to create message with attachments

It can be improved further. What is "sender" format? Is it an email (user at host)?
Can we specify "null sender" (IIRC RFC822 has something like that)? How?
--
vda