I can't believe it's not getent.

Natanael Copa natanael.copa at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 09:52:13 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-01-28 at 15:59 -0600, Rob Landley wrote:
> --Boundary-00=_MVNgJlst5O6nZ7l
>
> My friend Mark is working on a project called Gentoo From Scratch (faking a
> gentoo stage 1 environment by getting gentoo's portage to run on top of a
> uClibc/busybox base system),

cool! I used to build Alpine Linux with gentoo (using a bloated gentoo
build environment). I have switched to my own build scripts now,
somewhat inspired by gentoo but mostly similar (u)archlinux.

Uses uclibc/busybox as base and don't even need bash to build.

Benefit compared to gentoo is that you dont need download 300MB portage
tree to build a single package, you dont need bash and support for
package splitting (you get your man pages and docs in a separate -doc
package) and a pretty cool package manager for the binary packages.

Drawback is that is supports native build only. No cross compile.

Due to the light build env you can get started with a chroot/vserver
within 2 minutes.

wget http://alpine.nethq.org/alpine/v1.9/apk.static
chmod +x apk.static
./apk.static add --root mychroot --initdb \
	--repo http://alpine.nethq.org/alpine/v1.9/packages/core/ \
	alpine-baselayout alpine-sdk

Join #alpine-linux and/or #alpine-devel on freenode if you need
help/want contribute ;)

The package tree: http://dev.alpinelinux.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/aports/

> and it turns out portage needs "getent", which is
> a horrible gnu extension that ain't in SUSv4.
>
> Here's a small shell script that more or less implements it.  FYI.

thanks for sharing!

-nc