problem with running "kill -QUIT 1" from init

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 29 01:22:54 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 28 January 2009 05:17, Aras Vaichas wrote:
> Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> Oops, perhaps you didn't mean to CC me with your rude reply?

I didn't clear CC on purpose. Perhaps in a rude way,
but it did serve a useful purpose - I let you know
that I can't work on your problem because I don't have
enough information.

> My initial post referred to the script detailed in the link. Did you
> follow it?

Now I did.

> It explains precisely what I was trying to achieve.

It does not say anything about running things from /etc/init/rcS.

> In my follow up posting I explicitely stated:
>
> > It seems that doing "kill -1 1" from /etc/init/rcS doesn't reload the
> > inittab.
>
> Did you see that? Does it not make sense to you?

Not entirely. What does it mean "from /etc/init/rcS"?
How do you run /etc/init/rcS? Is it run as

::sysinit:/etc/init/rcS
 or
::wait:/etc/init/rcS
 or
::once:/etc/init/rcS
 or
::restart:/etc/init/rcS
 or
/dev/console:ctrlaltdel:/etc/init/rcS
 or any other possible way?

> Just because someone else put your nose out of joint doesn't mean you
> should take it out on me.

Ok. I propose stop getting emotional and start talking
in technical terms. Can you show me you /etc/inittab
and describe what you are doing, what do you expect to see
and what do you see instead?

I have qemy image and can try to reproduce it, as soon
as I will know what to do.

Please also specify your busybox version and attach
busybox .config you used to build the binary.
--
vda