sh (pid 1081) segfaults for page address 00000000 at pc 00000000

walter harms wharms at bfs.de
Sun Jan 25 14:27:36 UTC 2009

Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn schrieb:
> On Sun, 25 Jan 2009, walter harms wrote:
>
>> does
>> if [ -z "$(pidof <process name>)" ]; then
>>
>> change anything ?
>
> I'll try that tomorrow at work.
>
> Thinking about it a little more...
> It is the _shell_ that runs pidof that is actually segfaulting.
> May very well be a compiler bug, but I'm not looking in that direction
> right now.
>
> The SIGSEVG signal handler I'm playing with is in ash.c.
> The idea is to put ash in a while(1); loop and gdb attach to the process.
>
> I would appreciate any advice/ideas on how to catch this bug.

i think it would be interessting to make sure that pidof is needed to cause the bug.
yes: no clue
no : the subshell is the most likely candidate but i doubt it, since it is used to heavly
      and the bug should have surfaced in other applications

do older versions of ash behave the same ? (e.g. 1.12 ?)
maybe "test" is broken ? (note: build-in yes/no )

just my 2 cents,
wh