BusyBox GPL violation?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sat Jan 17 09:00:36 UTC 2009

On Sunday 11 January 2009 12:08:36 René Hanke wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I didn't really know where to post it, so I wrote this to
> vda.linux at googlemail.com and here:
>
> - - - - - - - - -
>
> Hello and greetings from Germany!
>
> I just buyed a Emtec Q800 media player/recorder and realized that its
> firmware is using your great BusyBox.

After the SFLC filed a "Mepis II" lawsuit against Cisco on behalf of the FSF,
I've asked the SFLC's not to file fresh lawsuits on behalf of my copyrights,
because I no longer trust their judgement and don't want to give them a bigger
soapbox with which to pursue the FSF's counterproductive extremist agendas.

 Erik might still be onboard with them, I haven't heard back from him yet.
And Denys is free to sign up with them if he wants to.  But their partnership
with the FSF has cost them _my_ support.

Also, the SFLC doesn't file any suits in Europe that I'm aware of, just in the
US courts.  The european group you probably want to talk to is
gpl-violations.org, and they mostly focus on kernel stuff (although Erik and I
signed up with Harald Welte for an enforcement action in France).

> Since I and some other users would like to modify the player a little bit
> (adding features), we asked Emtec, where we could download the sourcecode
> which must be available as far as I understand the GPL.
>
> Emtec told us, that they didn't have any sources but Mele (www.mele.cn),
> the "real" producer of the hard- and software. We tried to contact Mele
> multiple times, but got no response.

I'd start by asking Emtec to help get mele to talk to you.