init calls ping boot-process stops afterwards

Fritz Code codefritz at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 12 22:06:18 UTC 2009

Hi,

Im Using an embedded linux (2.4.19) with busybox.

The system has its root-filesystem on a flash-chip and the kernel can
mount it successfully during the boot-process.
But when the kernel has freed its memory and when init is supposed to
start it seems the commando "ping" gets started but not correctly
since the "usage" string of ping gets printed.
After the usage-output of ping the system hangs. No error message gets
displayed but the system is not usable anymore.

I'm connected to the system through a serial-connection and minicom.
Via kernel command line I pass the rootfs (and its type) and a console
to ttyS0 where my minicom is connected to.

The busybox binary (in /bin) exists and also the init-link (/sbin).

libc was compiled against the kernel headers and is available in /lib.

I dont know but maybee Im missing some files/settings in my
rootfileystem it might be not complete or configured perfect.

Thanks in advance,

--
Regards,
--Codefritz