gcc-4.3, building busybox and multiple references to toupper/tolower?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Feb 20 12:22:41 UTC 2009

  the short form:  does trying to build busybox with a gcc-4.3
compiler somehow cause a build failure with duplicate references to
tolower() and toupper()?

  the long form:  we have a (1.7.2) BB-based project and are
cross-compiling everything with a coldfire cross-compiler from
codesourcery.  until now with a gcc-4.1 toolchain, the build worked
fine.  with the new gcc-4.3 toolchain, the build of busybox fails with
numerous errors complaining about duplicate references to the system
calls tolower() and toupper().

  i'm doing this from memory so i don't have the actual error msgs in
front of me, but does this sound familiar to anyone?  would using a
newer version of BB solve the problem?  if necessary, i can post the
errors sometime tomorrow once i get back to the office.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
    Have classroom, will lecture.