network cable plugging management daemon ?

Roy Marples roy at marples.name
Fri Feb 6 08:43:30 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-06 at 10:54 +1100, Aras Vaichas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there anything in BusyBox for monitoring network cables being
> plugged/unplugged?
>
> For example there is: nifd (Howl/mDNS application), ifplugd, and netplugd.
>
> Does Busybox provide anything similar?
>
> I have implemented the Windows style of network management where I run
> udhcpc but if that fails I run zcip and choose a link-local address. To
> finalise this I need to re-run udhcpc when the ethernet cable is replugged.
>
> I'm probably going to use netplugd, but I was wondering if there was a
> native Busybox solution.
>
> Aras

Why not use dhcpcd?
It's a lot heavier than udhcpcd, but comes with link detection and
IPV4LL (aka zeroconf, aka link local address) management and a host of
other features.

It supports NOMMU systems and comes in at around 65k on i386 built -O2
not stripped, so I imagine it gets much smaller with -Os and stripped.

http://roy.marples.name/projects/dhcpcd

Thanks

Roy