switch_root and centos

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Dec 31 22:10:58 UTC 2009

On Thursday 31 December 2009 10:11:18 Michael Di Domenico wrote:
> Rob,
>
> Thanks, i did manage to figure out where my missteps were using
> suggestions from others in this thread.
>
> It's nice to see what you've outlined below, which makes it much clearer.
>
> It'd be nice if busybox had a wiki people could edit...

I'm not personally a fan of wikis, but I do notice that an earlier message I
posted on this topic got appended to switch_root.c, which isn't the greatest
place to put it.  Looks like we need a switch_root.txt in the "docs"
directory, and then a link to that file from both the FAQ (since it is one) and
the switch_root entry in the downloads/BusyBox.html file.

And while we're at it, downloads/BusyBox.html needs an index of links to the
various targets...

Sigh.  Might be time to ditch "pod".  It's not _that_ hard to spit out a
static man page by hand (it's ugly, but it's also an ascii format with maybe a
dozen interesting tags), and the html and txt are easier for us to do than to
beat the right output out of pod.  And the project already _has_ a C program
generating the pod content in the first place...

Oh no, now I'm looking at structural stuff.  (Why are generated include files
output into the same directory as include files tracked by the source control
system?  Why is there an arch/i386 directory one only a single arch and one
line of real content three years after it was introduced, instead of having a
single Makefile.arch file with some if tests, or not even bothering to break it
out into a separate file if it's just _one_line_?  Has anybody looked at
libbb/README in the past 8 years?  What on earth is coreutils/test_ptr_hack.c
for, and why does coreutils/id_test.sh live there instead of the test suite?)

Right, first problem: proper index for BusyBox.html...