applets wish: beep and sfdisk

Natanael Copa natanael.copa at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 17:33:20 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-08-18 at 19:17 +0200, Bernhard Reutner-Fischer wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 07:10:30PM +0200, Natanael Copa wrote:
> >In case someone have time I'd like to have a 'beep' applet in busybox.
> >Its handy on headless boxes.
>
> printf "\a" ?
> for your convenience:
> cat > /bin/beep <<hmz
> #!/bin/sh
> /usr/bin/printf "\a"
> hmz
> chmod +x /bin/beep

'beep' can play any given frequency. We have a "happy" sound that plays
after a successful boot. And you can have a "sad" melody when things
fails.

Usage:
beep [-f freq] [-l length] [-r reps] [-d delay] [-D delay] [-s] [-c]
beep [Options...] [-n] [--new] [Options...] ...
beep [-h] [--help]
beep [-v] [-V] [--version]

> >and sfdisk is a very nice tool to create partitions from scripts. beats
> >parted.
>
> our fdisk should be massaged into an sfdisk. Would be handy IMHO,
> agreed.

fwiw, i have also been thinking of a shutdown applet too, for
compability. Som other programs expect to do 'shutdown -r now' for
reboot and 'shutdown -h now' for poweroff.

I know I easily can make a wrapper script for that but it would be more
conevenient to have it with busybox. I have a system for overwriting
links to busybox when the "real" tools are installed and re-run busybox
--install -s when they are uninstalled. A wrapper scripts creates file
conflicts for the package manager if the "real" shutdown from
util-linux-ng gets installed.

Also a new file will take minimum 4kb of disk while a bb applet probably
might be done on 10-20 bytes.

-nc