HEADS UP: svn->git transition

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Thu Apr 30 19:06:52 UTC 2009

On Thursday 30 April 2009 14:47:33 Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> So far I read all relevant emails and I do not see instructions
> how can I check out new tree. (I will also need instructions
> how to push/commit/latest_fashionable_term_of_the_week_for_it
> changes).
>
> Such instructions can't possibly be longer than 2 to 5 lines.

to checkout the new repo:
 git clone ssh://uclibc.org/busybox.git

to add new files:
 git add file1 file2 file3 ...

to commit files:
 git commit -s -m 'my commit log' file1 file2 file3 ...

to push:
 git push

the biggest thing to keep in mind with committing is the way git formats
messages.  since it is geared towards easy e-mail interaction, the first line
in the commit message is the subject followed by a blank line followed by the
commit body.  we should start enforcing proper changelogs now in terms of real
explanation and full sentences and signed off tags and all that jive.  example
commit message:
blah blah short summary suitable for subject

some full explanation here nicely wrapped to 78cols
======

please also see the cheat sheet i put together:
https://docs.blackfin.uclinux.org/doku.php?id=version_control_systems#quick_references
-mike