[Bulk] Re: Wonky Ping (ping don't work)

Doug Graham dgraham at nortel.com
Tue Apr 21 14:45:43 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 12:02:35AM -0700, Chris Plasun wrote:
> Is tshark for the console? I'm going to try it.

Tshark is the text-based version of wireshark.  It's included in the
wireshark package (wireshark is the full-fledged GUI version).  Tcpdump is
a simpler text-based protocol analyzer.  Tcpdump is easier and quicker
to build than tshark, and probably uses signficantly less resources at
runtime (I'm guessing at the latter; I haven't actually checked), so
you should probably just put tcpdump on target.  You can save captures
using tcpdump on-target and analyze them later on a host with wireshark
installed, or you can have tcpdump print a line of text on-the-fly for
each packet.  The latter should be fine for your current needs.

--Doug