Setting up NFS client

Ralf Friedl Ralf.Friedl at online.de
Sat Apr 18 10:25:44 UTC 2009

Chris Plasun wrote:
> I would like to get the MPC8313 board running as a NFS client
> connected to a SUSE installation in VirtualBox running on a winbox.
>
> The PC, virtual SUSE installation and the board are all pinging each
> other happily.
>
> I set up NFS server in SUSE and apparently its running. I've set up
> the exports file in /etc and running chkconfig nfs returns that NFS is
> on.
What does "apparently its running" mean in this case?
First, chkconfig indicates that a service is to be run on startup, not
whether it is currently running.
Second, the service name you are looking for is not "nfs" (the client)
but "nfsserver" (the server).
To check for the NFS-Server use this command:
$ rcnfsserver status
To start the NFS-Server use this command:
$ rcnfsserver start

Also, you must make sure that portmap is running before starting the NFS
server (chkconfig -a portmap; rcportmap start).

A simple test would be whether a NFS-mount on the server to the server
itself works.

Regards
Ralf Friedl