mdev

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 16 22:54:17 UTC 2009

On Thursday 16 April 2009 13:49, Natanael Copa wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-04-16 at 10:26 +0400, Vladimir Dronnikov wrote:
> > Hello, Natanael!
> >

> > > find /sys -name modalias | xargs sort -u | xargs modprobe -a
> > >

> > I use the same:
> > find /sys/devices -name modalias | xargs modprobe -q
> >
> > > will load all the drivers.
> >
> > > This is only for "coldplugging" though.
> > >

> > That is the point. When later I plug my CDMA modem in, I get no
> > option.ko module loaded. mdev is one step from being a quite good
> > _hotplug_ helper. Just make it respect $MODALIAS come from the event
> > and run modprobe on it. That is simple.
>
> I'm all for that and will definitively use this feature if/when is added

Guys, please, *cooperate*. Don't brush aside Rob's concerns,
convince yourself (and try to convince him) that what you do
is really necessary.

Also, Vladimir, can you be a little more thorough when you
code up a change?
mdev had so much activity last days, it's hard to keep up
when I need to write testcases and documentation for you.

All this cold-versus-hotplus things, $MODALIAS, $SUBSYSTEM -
you learn all these things but you do not write up
a HOWTO for the next guy - like me, or Natanael.
I don't yet use mdev, sure will be very happy if someone
documented their experience of switching from udev to mdev.
Please do so in docs/mdev.txt

--
vda