mdev

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Apr 14 19:08:06 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 14 April 2009 11:43:26 Vladimir Dronnikov wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Wonder how mdev -s should work with PNP devices (say, internal
> speaker). There is no /sys/class/pnp at all. There, however, is
> /sys/bus/pnp/devices, but those doesn't provide 'dev' file...

Dunno.  How does the hotplug event for them come in when you echo "/sbin/mdev"
> /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug ?  (Possibly it's a different directory?)

Note that mdev can only work with the information the kernel provides.  ISA
pnp is legacy enough nobody may ever have bothered to hook it up to anything,
(Its job was to autodetect I/O port, IRQ, and DMA ranges for ISA devices from
20 years ago.  This really doesn't come up much anymore.)

Also, I was unaware that the pc speaker normally had a /dev node?  (You beep
it via some ioctl on /dev/console or similar?  Mostly I just rmmod pcspkr to
get it to _shut_up_.)

GPLv3 is to GPLv2 what Attack of the Clones is to The Empire Strikes Back.