insmod: invalid module format with 2.6.27 kernel

Gilles Espinasse g.esp at free.fr
Mon Apr 13 12:18:58 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: Dallas Clement
To: busybox at busybox.net
Sent: Monday, April 13, 2009 8:03 AM
Subject: Re: insmod: invalid module format with 2.6.27 kernel

> Unfortunately, I can't easily capture all of the strace output since I am
executing from the initramfs
> and have no writable disks.

If you have usb-storage available, these is what I have done
- include strace in initramfs,
- change in init 'exec busybox init' by 'exec busybox /bin/ash'
Then you could manually insmod usb-storage, mount an usb key and write
there.
I had no file system issue. It may still be possible with no fs available, a
bit more exotic.

If you are not able to load ext2 or another file system, you could write to
the entire raw device.
tar know to do that.

    Gilles