?????: modprobe patches

Timo Teräs timo.teras at iki.fi
Mon Sep 8 10:42:09 UTC 2008

Vladimir Dronnikov wrote:
> M.B. then rename pre-parsed version to fast one?

Changed the config option to be a choice of
MODUTILS_STANDARD
or
MODUTILS_FAST

>> And since the patch separates 2.4 stuff
>> in a sensible manner, it should be possible to have the -small
>> version support 2.4 kernels too.
>
> Right out of box, mostly. insmod/rmmod/lsmod should surely be shared among
> both flavors. The slight differences in some helper function
> (filename2modname, e.g.) can be easily masked by means of defines. The
> remainder is to teach fast depmod to recognize *.o modules.

Busybox depmod has never been able to read *.o modules. Though for the
-fast variant to be usable, it should be thought that. For the standard
version we've just used the modules.dep generated by a real module-init-tools
earlier.

> I'll try to update to config appropriately too then.

I updated the patch. It's main Config.in updated and not removing
modutils-small.c.

Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> When you send "final" patch. please spend 10 more minutes and write
> a bullet list of things fixed/improved as compared to current
> implementation.

The current list of things changed (wrt. to "standard" version):
- a lot faster (linear algorithmic complexity, smaller memory foot print)
- a lot smaller (the old code was overly complicated)
- blacklisting is done correctly (-b option added)
- module argument quoting done right (except the 2.4 code is still missing)
- depmod now correctly generates modules.symbols and modules.alias
- code is also more readable imho

Hopefully nothing has been broken.

Cheers,
- Timo