?????: modprobe patches

Timo Teräs timo.teras at iki.fi
Mon Sep 8 05:09:31 UTC 2008

Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> Hi Timo,
>
> I took a look at your patch. Wow, this is big :)

Well, it's mostly moving the 2.4 specific stuff to it's own file.
When it's committed it'll reduce the size a lot to do something like:
  svn mv insmod.c modutils-24.c
  mv modutils-24.c insmod.c
  patch -p0 < ...

> On Thursday 04 September 2008 18:01, Vladimir Dronnikov wrote:
>> I wish the patch were applied. It is much better to work on some base
>> code than ping-pong a huge patches... Vanilla BB modprobe should be
>> gone as it is big, slow and lacks several features.
>>
>> Tested the patch. Compiles cleanly with some cleanup in modutils.h
>> (several defines are redundant). Works.
>
> Vladimir & Timo, can you ping-pong these small fixes between
> you two (CC list) and when you are happy with them, indicate
> which patch is "final" when you send it to the ml.
>
> From my side, I only want "small" modprobe to be retained.
> In other words, I don't want this to happen:
>
>  USE_DELGROUP(APPLET_ODDNAME(delgroup, deluser, _BB_DIR_BIN, _BB_SUID_NEVER, delgroup))
>  USE_DELUSER(APPLET(deluser, _BB_DIR_BIN, _BB_SUID_NEVER))
>  USE_DEPMOD(APPLET(depmod, _BB_DIR_SBIN, _BB_SUID_NEVER))
> -USE_MODPROBE_SMALL(APPLET_ODDNAME(depmod, modprobe, _BB_DIR_SBIN, _BB_SUID_NEVER, modprobe))
>  USE_DEVFSD(APPLET(devfsd, _BB_DIR_SBIN, _BB_SUID_NEVER))
>  USE_DF(APPLET(df, _BB_DIR_BIN, _BB_SUID_NEVER))
>  USE_APP_DHCPRELAY(APPLET(dhcprelay, _BB_DIR_USR_SBIN, _BB_SUID_NEVER))
>
> When you send "final" patch. please spend 10 more minutes and write
> a bullet list of things fixed/improved as compared to current
> implementation.

Sure. The reasoning for removing was that the size differences
is now pretty small. But considering the -small version has
pre-parsed files it can be quite a lot faster so it might be
useful in some scenarios. I'll try to update to config
appropriately too then. And since the patch separates 2.4 stuff
in a sensible manner, it should be possible to have the -small
version support 2.4 kernels too.

- Timo