some patches

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 4 07:05:28 UTC 2008

On Thursday 04 September 2008 08:08, Vladimir Dronnikov wrote:

> > and stage 3 is not needed at all - "killall5 -TERM" etc still works,
> > no need to talk to init.
> >

> I see. But IMO killall5ing would just makes kernel panic after /sbin/init
> exits, right?

No. Even killall5 -KILL won't. Process with PID 1 is not killed,
even if it is a shell. Kernel will not panic.

Also, killall5 does not kill processes in its session,
so it works just fine to have killall5 in a shutdown shell script.
I mean, killall5 doesn't kill its own parent process (shell) too.

> How to reboot?

hardshutdown -r

See attached.
--