yet another init question

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 31 00:50:40 UTC 2008

On Thursday 30 October 2008 23:58, Steve Iribarne (GMail) wrote:
> Hello List.
>
> I have upgraded my busybox from 1.2.1 to 1.11.3.  Yes I know it's
> about time.  :)
>
> I had u-boot with 1.2.1 of busybox working just peachy.
>
> Now I get the dreaded...
>
> <... snip ....>
>  cfi_cmdset_0002: Disabling erase-suspend-program due to code brokenness.
> cf: Octeon bootbus compact flash driver version 1.1
> cf: Compact flash found in bootbus region 3 (16 bit).
>  cfa:cfa: SanDisk SDCFJ-1024 Serial 011716F0507F0341 (2001888 sectors,
> 512 bytes/sector)
>  cfa1 cfa2
> EXT3-fs: INFO: recovery required on readonly filesystem.
> EXT3-fs: write access will be enabled during recovery.
> kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
> EXT3-fs: recovery complete.
> EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
> VFS: Mounted root (ext3 filesystem) readonly.
> Warning: unable to open an initial console.

Do you get above "Warning:" message with old busybox too?
If not, then something else is wrong: this message means that
kernel cannot open /dev/console, and that happens even before
kernel tried to run init. This might mean that kernel
cannot access your filesystem and is unabe to see files on it
(and thus cannot open /dev/console and busybox binary).

EXT3 recovery messages hint at damaged / uncleanly
umounted filesystems being mounted, which should not happen.

> Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel.

> First things first.. with u-boot and the older version of busybox I
> didn't need to pass in any "root=" command.
>
> Seems like I need to now.

Where? It talks about init=xxx, not root=xxx.

> But my root is part of the linux kernel that I build (it's all ramdisk
> etc..) so I shouldn't have to.
>
> And to tell you the truth, I think that's my problem but I'm not sure
> what to tell u-boot or busybox.

As a start, I'd take old ramdisk image, mount it,
just replace busybox binary, umount, and try this modified image.

This will allow you to test "my new image is damaged"
theory. If old image with new busybox works...
--
vda