inittab ignored by reboot / halt

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sat Oct 25 01:42:23 UTC 2008

On Friday 24 October 2008 18:11:31 Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 October 2008 17:14, Chris Craig wrote:
> > Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> >  > +/* Was a CONFIG_xxx option. A lot of people were building
> >  > + * not fully functional init by switching it on! */
> >  > +#define DEBUG_INIT 0
> >  > +
> >
> > Was it really a lot of people?
>
> Looks like:
>
> http://bugs.busybox.net/view.php?id=5004
> http://bugs.busybox.net/view.php?id=4554

I used to have "make defconfig" be the maximum "sane" configuration, minus
debug options like that.  (Before that, allyesconfig had a bunch of filtering
switching off stuff that would screw up your build unless you really knew
what you were doing; I basically moved the old allyesconfig to defconfig and
made allyesconfig actually switch everything on like the name says.)

These days, defconfig seems to be going back to trying to guess what the user
wants to enable.  Is there a policy on what should and shouldn't be in there?