-/bin/sh: xxx: not found

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Oct 22 03:11:58 UTC 2008

On Monday 20 October 2008 06:54:01 stanliao wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I put some applications into my ramdisk, which is the root filesystem. When
> I try to run one of the application, say smbpasswd, "bin/sh" shows the
> following message:
>
> # smbpasswd -a ftpusers
> -/bin/sh: smbpasswd: not found
> #
> #

Did you try running /bin/smbpasswd without using $PATH?  (If you get the
same "not found" it's probably /lib/ld-linux.so.2 or equivalent not being
found.)

> However, the "which" command can find it:
> # which smbpasswd
> /bin/smbpasswd
>
> What might be the problem while one command can be found by which but can't
> be executed by?

Well, with bash, set +h is kind of useful to disable path cacheing if you're
modifying the files in $PATH without changing $PATH.  Probably not the issue
here...