You can't spell "evil" without "vi".

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Oct 16 06:38:41 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 15 October 2008 11:36:19 Rob Landley wrote:
> I think I can work out a test for this (write a script suspending the qemu
> process with "while true; do kill -STOP $PID; sleep 1; kill -CONT $PID;
> sleep 1; done" and then hold down "cursor left" in vi for a couple minutes
> and see if it zaps the line it's on.

I finally got a chance to do this, and qemu did _not_ eat the line.  So the
serial interrupt takes precedence over the timer interrupt in Linux, which
means all we have to worry about is the actual serial delay.  I trimmed it
down to 25 miliseconds, which should be plenty for the next character to come
in at 1200 bps, and is way the heck below any human perceptual threshold.

Checked in, with expanded comment explaining the problem, not the person who
found it.