r23407 broke dpkg

Peter Korsgaard jacmet at uclibc.org
Wed Oct 15 14:00:27 UTC 2008

Hi Denys,

Your r23407 (the FEATURE_SEAMLESS_* stuff) unfortunately doesn't work
that nicely with dpkg / dpkg-deb.

Standard .deb files have data and control in .tar.gz, but
FEATURE_SEAMLESS_GZ defaults to off, so in the default configuration
stuff doesn't work. We unfortunately cannot just add 'default y if DPKG
|| DPKG_DEB' to FEATURE_SEAMLESS_GZ, as that option is always available,
and hence the default value gets applied before the user has a chance
to select dpkg.

I see 2 options:

Either we add a 'select FEATURE_SEAMLESS_GZ' to DPKG and DPKG_DEB,
or we reintroduce dummy FEATURE_DEB_TAR_* config variables which
depends on DPKG || DPKG_DEB and select the corresponding
FEATURE_SEAMLESS_* option if enabled.

The first option isn't that nice as you then cannot disable gz support
in dpkg, but the other option also isn't that pretty.

What do you say?

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard