You can't spell "evil" without "vi".

Roberto A. Foglietta roberto.foglietta at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 10:11:01 UTC 2008

2008/10/14 Alessandro Rubini <rubini-list at gnudd.com>:

>> Ok, making poll wait 300 miliseconds before deciding there's no next character
>> in a pending escape sequence seems to have fixed it.  (At least I can't
>> reproduce the problem under qemu anymore.)  The downside is that when you hit
>> escape with nothing after it, the gui won't update for 1/3 of a second, but
>> that's way better than corrupting data.
>
> Actually, I remember on good old unix with good old green-phosphors
> vt100-lookalike terminals the delay after pressing ESC was there.
>
> We were all happy back then, as we knew the reason why.
>
> I run real ARM systems and I sometimes have the same issues with vi,
> so I vote for the delay from good old days. Thanks a lot for digging
> in the problem

 I am used to rise the priority of debug/interactive console at FIFO
99 on those system I know there are a problem with user interaction. I
am conscious that a solution like this could harm the system if debug
console is used by not acknowledged people in a not properly way. So,
it is a solution only when falling down on debug console is the last
chance to interact with the busy system.

 Ciao,
--
/roberto