Busybox under closed-source-license avaiable?

Roberto A. Foglietta roberto.foglietta at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 14:25:50 UTC 2008

2008/10/12 Denys Vlasenko <vda.linux at googlemail.com>:
> On Wednesday 08 October 2008 10:24:32 pm Lin Xbasu wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can you please tell me, whether it is possible to get a license for the
>> busybox to distribute it as object code / executable without beeing forced
>> to publish the source code as GPL does?
>
> I think busybox had many contributors over the years, and it's virtually
> impossible to contact them all and convince every single one of them
> to agree on this.
>
> You have to comply with GPL v2. Which is not difficult and costs nothing.

 In case you want deliver your specific proprietary command line
executable and you would like to keep its size very small then you can
compile it linking against busybox library. Remember that GPL allow
only dynamic linking, static should enforce GPL redistributions terms
and make your application bigger. This means busybox should compiled
linking it dynamically against the same libraries. However in some
embedded having a static-compiled busybox is a very bright idea, in
this case uClib are strongly suggested than glibc which are NOT
designed for static compiling even in some cases their works as well.

 I hope this helps,
--
/roberto