"syslogd --help" doesn't mention "-m" option

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 10 09:28:40 UTC 2008

On Monday 06 October 2008 09:21:53 pm Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>    on my BB 1.10.4, running "syslogd --help" makes no mention
> of the "-m" option, even though it clearly works.  i notice
> that the usage line for that has been commented out in
> usage.h.  not sure if that's an oversight or what.

It is not mentioned because it is accepted but ignored:

syslogd.c:

/* MARK code is not very useful, is bloat, and broken:
 * can deadlock if alarmed to make MARK while writing to IPC buffer
 * (semaphores are down but do_mark routine tries to down them again) */
#undef SYSLOGD_MARK

When the bug was noticed, I decided that disabling it
is a quickest solution, which coincidentally also makes code smaller.
Yes, we lose --MARK-- feature, but is this feature useful? How?

If there will be users which will actually miss it,
then it can be fixed and enabled.
--
vda