passwd from stdin

Matthew Hiles matthew.hiles at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 13:34:07 UTC 2008

Rabbul Nawaz wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 November 2008 17:35:17 Michael Abbott wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 26 Nov 2008, Hinko Kocevar wrote:
>>
>>> Another approach would be to generate /etc/passwd for desired
>>> username:password on your local host and deploy them on already running
>>> devices.
>>>
>> I've had to do exactly this, and in case it's useful I attach the two
>> scripts I created to do this:
>> 	./useradd $rootfs -p $new-password $new-user
>> adds the right entries to $rootfs/etc/passwd and $rootfs/etc/shadow,
>> using the python script ./crypt as necessary to encode the password.
>>
>> (Sorry about the long CC list, the thread seems to be growing CCs!)
>>

> Thanks for the reply, but this is not going to help me, and I am still
> searching for the solution. I will explain You my exact requirement, so that
> You can understand it better.
> I am creating a Rescue mode option for "DeepOfix Mail Server"
> http://code.deeproot.in/deepofix . Now, when the user enters rescue mode, I
> want to create a ncurses/dialog screen in which he can change the password of
> that system. Now since the system is in Rescue mode, It lands in the rootfs
> environment, which is the below link
> http://code.deeproot.in/deepofix/browser/trunk/var/rootfs
>  It has a very minimal environment, and It runs only busy box commands. Now, I
> cannot use the crypt file, which You have attached, as python is not
> installed in that. Even, the useradd script cannot be used as it will not
> create the encrypted password to save them in the /etc/passwd file.
>
> I tried my best to explain my requirement. Can some one please suggest the
> solution for this.
>
> -Rabbul Nawaz KS.

Perhaps I am missing something, but why can't you recompile busybox and
just replace the busybox binary? The only thing you would have to do
then is add a symlink to chpasswd.

Sorry if I missed the requirement, I realize how frustrating it can be
when people keep giving you solutions that are not for you problem.

~Matthew Hiles