How does udhcpc determine dhcp timeout?

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 24 22:04:48 UTC 2008

On Monday 24 November 2008 19:32, Donovan Jay-MGIA2023 wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I need to understand the timeout algorithm for udhcpc when no dhcp
> server is available. Is there a description somewhere in the archives?
> Is there a searchable archive somewhere for future questions?

Can this pass as a documentation?

# ./busybox udhcpc --help
BusyBox v1.14.0.svn (2008-11-22 20:01:39 CET) multi-call binary

Usage: udhcpc [-Cfbnqtvo] [-c CID] [-V VCLS] [-H HOSTNAME] [-i INTERFACE]
        [-p pidfile] [-r IP] [-s script] [-O dhcp-option]...

        -t,--retries=N          Send up to N request packets
        -T,--timeout=N          Try to get a lease for N seconds (default 3)
        -A,--tryagain=N         Wait N seconds (default 20) after failure

> This electronic transmission (and any attached documentation) is for the
> sole use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. It is
> confidential. Any further distribution or copying of this message is
> strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error, please
> notify me, and destroy the attached message (and all attached
> documents), immediately.

Wow, your company's lawyers are... creative.
--
vda