diff -Naur

Vladimir Dronnikov dronnikov at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 06:20:52 UTC 2008

> > Using the subj from current SVN I get the patches which do not substitute
> > /dev/null for missing or being deleted files.
> > Is it intended?
>
> Are you saying that older versions were doing this, and now it broke?

Nope. I simply did not pay attention. BB generated diffs do not apply
cleanly by Rob's toybox' patch. I use his toolchain in my building tree.
Although I can use vanilla patch the question is whether BB diff does things
right?

I see in diff.c text containing bb_dev_null like:
---
if (flags & D_EMPTY1)
/* can't be stdin, but xfopen_stdin() is smaller code */
f1 = xfopen_stdin(bb_dev_null);
else
f1 = xfopen_stdin(file1);
---

meaning diff copes with the problem of absent files, but the resulting patch
never uses /dev/null as filename.

Should we ask the author?

TIA,
--