shell script implementation of man

Cathey, Jim jcathey at ciena.com
Wed Nov 19 18:19:45 UTC 2008

>What makes you say it's /far more portable than $()/ ?
>Is that because $() was introduced after `` (if so is the case)?

It is the case.  Every shell I've ever heard of does ``, the $()
thing showed up with the Korn shell and got propagated into various
other shells.  I believe `` is more widely supported, and for a
maximally portable shell script (which admittedly this does not
need to be) is thus superior wherever it will do the job.  If
one of BB's own shells doesn't support $() then that right away
tells you which style to prefer for this script.

-- Jim