FakeInit Applet

Jason Curl jcurlnews at arcor.de
Tue Nov 18 18:05:43 UTC 2008

Hello Alex,
Alexander Surma wrote:
>> I don't think that you need such a thing in the first place.
>> Short of booting with init=/bin/sh, just ln -s /bin/busybox /linuxrc
>>
> Problem is, that a initramfs (in contrast to initrd) ignores the init
> parameter (at least so it says in the kernel documentation) and when I
> tried using it, it didn't work.
> And how is a symlink calles /linuxrc gonna help me when there's no applet
> that makes this behave like spawning a shell? Am I missing a feature here?

See:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/gregkh/lkn/lkn_pdf/ch09.pdf

in particular rdinit=... for ram disks.

linuxrc is the first thing that the kernel looks for (instead of init).
It could also be a shell script. You might want to look over at
linuxfromscratch.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

Nothing to say that linuxrc is just a shell script with an exec /bin/sh
in it (or something like while (true); do /bin/sh; done)

Regards,
Jason.