inotifyd problems

Vladimir Dronnikov dronnikov at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 22:04:38 UTC 2008

> You need to say so in help text.

I almost didn't touch inotifyd since it was born. The time has come, since
active users appear.

> Moreover, some users won't like it.
> They might want to get these events in a serialized fashion.

I suppose it is a least surprising behavior.

> No. init should reap zombies *only if parent process has died*.

Anyway, people tell zombies are a few bytes and a process table entry.
Though annoying, I admit.

> You must dispose of your own zombies, or set SIGCHLD to SIG_IGN.
> the second is a semi-official Linux extension

I'm concerned primarily to Linux.

> Setting SIGCHLD to SIG_IGN would make inotifyd to fire-and-forget
> the agent...

... but is incompatible.

> Setting SIGCHLD to SIG_DFL will serialize events...

... but may lead to blocks.

> For now I am making inotifyd wait for children:
> but I think we maybe need a run-time inotify option
> to select which one do we want.
>
> Your opinion guys?

I'd suggest to run wait_any_nohang() cycle upon event arrival and do not use
wait(spawn()).

Regards,
--
Vladimir