mdev not loading firmware for marvel chip

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Sat May 31 06:17:44 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 27 May 2008, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 May 2008 20:48, Ram kumar wrote:
> >       Iam trying to make mdev load the firmware for my embedded
> > platform.I have cross compiled busybox-1.10.1 to run on my AT91SAM9260
> > eval kit.I also have a running linux kernel 2.6.24.Now when i interface a
> > Marvell wifi SDIO card in to the SDIO slot.The kernel recognizes the SDIO
> > card but it is unable to load the firmware.
>
> Can you elaborate? Howplug upload is rather straightforwardly coded:

thanks ;)

> static void load_firmware(const char *const firmware, const char *const
> sysfs_path) {...}
>
> Can you add debug printouts to mdev.c and determine what step doesn't work?

trick with debug printouts is that the kernel executes the hotplug helper (and
thus mdev) without any fd's open.  so you'd have to write a wrapper script to
connect stdout/stderr to like /dev/console or some tty/file and then execute
the mdev binary.  or do the connection in mdev itself.

perhaps that is worth adding to mdev.c ?
#ifdef DEBUG
	dup2(open("/dev/console", O_RDONLY), STDIN_FILENO);
	dup2(open("/dev/console", O_WRONLY), STDOUT_FILENO);
	dup2(open("/dev/console", O_WRONLY), STDERR_FILENO);
#endif
-mike