depmod

Vladimir Dronnikov dronnikov at gmail.com
Mon May 26 17:28:26 UTC 2008

> ...Up until now, everybody pregenerates the modules.dep on the
> host (if they run modules at all)...

I generate BB-based system by means of BB-based system too. That way I can
estimate the limits of BB
applets. If something is missed in BB that is really useful to build the system
I tend to try to implement it.

> >use your generated
> >modprobe.conf to load something like a sound module? Did you succeed?
>

> No, i didn't. Does it work? If not, what does not work?

modprobe itself
is dumb. It completely relies on modprobe.conf when it deals with
module dependencies sequence.
It is not sufficient to just enlist dependencies -- they must be enlisted in
the right order. Simply put, each dependence must be fully expanded then
doubles must be removed.

E.g. A depends on B and C. D depends on A and B.
You result in
A: B C
D: A B
modprobe D complains on A can't be loaded. modprobe cannot lookup
modprobe.conf twice!

It must be (handwave):
A: B C
D: B C A

See the difference?

The algorythm I used in depmod seems way verbose only at first glance. That
is why I (as feeling slightly discomforted when dealing with hashes in C)
preferred to share algorythm (.awk) and leave implementation to probable
coders.

--
Vladimir