Script doesn't keep running from other script

Alan Dayley adayley at gmail.com
Sun May 11 05:32:11 UTC 2008

I have a ARM system with a 2.4 kernel and a cross-compile of Busybox
1.10.1, no patches.  When the system boots the last thing it runs is a
startup script to load a real-time clock driver and run a few commands
for the board's application.  One of the things is runs is another shell
script to do automatic mounting of a USB drive when it gets plugged in.
  The first script calls the auto-mounting script thusly:

/bin/sh /mnt/FlashMemory/usbmountd &

This worked fine with Busybox 1.0.0.  (Yes, that old.  That is what the
board came with but I needed to move to something newer for other httpd
support and feature issues so I migrated up to my own cross-compile of
version 1.10.1.)

To help me debug I put some "echo" commands in the usbmountd script.
The first three lines of the script are:

/bin/echo usbmountd:before first sleep
/bin/sleep 5
/bin/echo usbmountd:after first sleep

When the usbmountd script is called with the same command from the
serial console command line, it works fine and shows up in the process
list output of the "ps" command.  When called from the startup script
only the "usbmountd:before first sleep" message is printed and there is
no process in the "ps" command output.

I'm pretty much stuck here, not knowing how to debug further around this
problem.  Did I miss a configuration setting in my Busybox build that
effects one script calling another?  Is this a bug of some kind?  Anyone
know any work-around to get this script started on boot?

Alan