[busybox] problems with mdev -s

Rich Mahn rich at lat.com
Fri May 9 13:08:19 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 06 May 2008 22:02, Rich Mahn wrote:
> > The problem:
> >    With certain configurations, when 'mdev -s' is run, all devices
> > created are character devices, including those which should be block
> > devices.  This is easily reproducible.
> >
> > More details:
> >    The devices created are correct WRT permissions, major and minor
> > numbers.  However, when the problem occurs, all new devices are
> > character devices.  Devices that already exist are not changed--if
> > they are already block devices they staay that way.  Adding printf
> > statements in mdev.c shows that the correct values are being sent to
> > the system call 'mknod' appear to be correct

> Wow. if this is true that mknod have correct arguments,
> then I can't see what I can fix. But I'm doubtful.
> Can you show me these debug printouts added, and their output?

I am certain of what I said.  I will reproduce it again and send the
results.  I hadn't noticed that we had the /sys/class/block situation,
so my guess is that the mknod call for /sys/block/ram0, for example, took
place after /sys/class/block/ram0 and I didn't notice it.  We will see.  I'll
get the results later today.

> >     In Linux 2.6.25 and all the devices in the /sys/block directory
> > are symbolic links that resolve to the appropriate places in the
> > /sys/device structure.

> A patch was posted which said to be needed for 2.6.25.
> Please try it (attached).
> --
> vda

The patch corrected the problems.  Hence my guess as to what happened above.

rich